You may have noticed that Lactic acid is getting a lot of attention lately. This particular ingredient is well-known for its ability to gently make the skin smoother. With its knack for giving you softer, more radiant skin, you’ll definitely see a big change in how your skin feels, honestly.
But before we dive deeper into our favorite ingredient, let’s cover all you need to know about Lactic acid and why it’s so important for your skincare routine.
What is Lactic Acid? Lactic acid falls into the category of alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) and is derived from sour milk, fruits, and vegetables. It holds the secret to unlocking beautiful skin. This alpha hydroxy acid is among the exfoliants, which are substances known for delicately removing dead skin cells, clearing clogged pores, and aiding in skin renewal.
Effects of Lactic Acid on the Skin Lactic acid works wonders on the skin because of its exfoliating properties. It seeps into the outer skin layer, dissolving the bonds between dead skin cells and encouraging their shedding. This not only reveals fresh skin but also boosts collagen production.
Benefits of Lactic Acid for Skin Health This versatile ingredient is an overachiever, offering numerous benefits that go beyond the usual. Here are some of the advantages of using Lactic acid:
- Gentle exfoliation Lactic acid gently exfoliates the skin, resulting in brighter skin, reduced pigmentation, smoother texture, and unclogged pores. Importantly, it does this without causing irritation, making it great for people with dry or sensitive skin.
- Hydration booster Surprisingly, Lactic acid also acts as a moisture magnet besides its exfoliating properties. It attracts water, providing hydration and a plumping effect, addressing concerns like dullness and dryness.
- Antimicrobial properties Lactic acid fights bacteria effectively, helping to maintain balanced skin, reducing inflammation, and fortifying the skin barrier, ultimately reducing dryness.
- Skin brightening It’s known for brightening the skin by removing dead skin cells, revealing a more radiant complexion.
- Improved skin texture Regular use of Lactic acid results in refined skin texture, beneficial for those dealing with uneven skin tone and rough patches.
- Acne reduction Its exfoliating action helps prevent clogged pores, making it beneficial for those prone to acne.
How to Use Lactic Acid in Your Skincare Routine Incorporating Lactic acid into your skincare routine should be done thoughtfully to maximize benefits without stressing your skin.
Here’s a simple guide to adding this powerful ingredient to your daily routine:
- Start Slowly If you’re new to Lactic acid, begin cautiously. Choose products with lower concentrations (usually 5-10%) to allow your skin to get used to this gentle exfoliant. Starting slowly reduces the risk of irritation and helps you understand your skin’s tolerance.
- Choose the Right Product Lactic acid comes in various forms like cleansers, toners, serums, and masks. Pick a product that suits your preferences and fits seamlessly into your existing routine.
- Pick a Gentle Exfoliator A gel cleanser like our Simple Active Skin Barrier Care Smoothing Gel Cleanser could be beneficial. It contains 7% Ceramide boosters and 5% Lactic Acid that reveal smoother skin. Plus, it hydrates and repairs the skin barrier with ingredients like Glycerin and HA. It’s recommended to use this twice a week, followed by sunscreen.